On a rolling 3 yearly-basis from your staging date or duties start date, employers need to re-assess workers who:
- Opted out of the workplace pension
- Left the pension scheme after the opt-out period
- Reduced their contributions to below the minimum level
Any worker who meets the assessment criteria for auto enrolment has to be re-enrolled back into the pension scheme. Once the re-enrolment process has been completed, a Re-declaration of Compliance then needs to be filed with The Pensions Regulator (TPR) within five months, whether or not new staff were added to the scheme.
How does Husky help with re-enrolment?
Husky’s auto enrolment platform will manage the re-enrolment process for you and ensure all applicable workers are correctly assessed for re-enrolment. You don’t need to do anything!
The pay period that contains your re-enrolment date will be used to determine all your re-enrolment requirements. Any workers who are re-enrolled back into your pension scheme will be issued with a letter to confirm they have been enrolled and to outline their options.
We’ll also complete the Re-declaration of Compliance on your company’s behalf to the TPR once the re-enrolment process is completed.
What do I need to do as an employer?
Husky is here to take away the burden of re-enrolment and to keep you compliant. Employers whose workplace schemes are managed by Husky don’t need to do anything. However, you can choose to:
- Change your re-enrolment date - You can contact Husky and request to move the date within a six-month window, up to three months before the third anniversary of your staging date or up to three months after.
- Talk to your workforce – Providing your workers with notice that they may be re-assessed will give them more time to consider whether they want to remain in the scheme or not.
- Notify payroll of your re-enrolment date – particularly if you’ve decided to ask Husky to change the date for you to ensure they know when to expect this process to happen.
There’s also never a better time to review your pension scheme
Re-enrolment is the ideal opportunity for you to review your current pension scheme and make sure that you have the best deal for your company and workforce.
Re-running the Husky pension comparator with your most up-to-date workforce information will let you see whether there are better-suited pension schemes for your company.
Through Husky you have the choice and flexibility to choose a pension scheme, or multiple pension schemes, that are right for you. For example, if you have lower paid workers you could consider moving to a scheme with lower employee costs or having a scheme that provides relief-at source which will provide them with greater tax benefits. Or you and your workers may care about the type of funds their pension contributions are being invested into, and you may want to consider offering an alternative ethical scheme.
Contact the Husky Client Services Team to find out more about how our platform simplifies the management of multiple pension schemes or to talk through any of your re-enrolment questions.